Berlin CSD School Tax Information

2023/2024 School tax bills have been mailed.

If you have not received your bill, you can view and/or print it at the link directly below.


*(to pay your bill online, enter the name on the property or property address. Once the property information appears, select summary (a slight pause) and then this will bring you to the pay online button.)

**Please find answers to Frequently Asked Questions at the bottom of this page**



Historical Tax Bills/Receipts

2022 – Tax Bills
2021 – Tax Bills
2020 – Tax Bills

To search past tax bills: Please wait a few moments for the entire document to load before searching.
To search the Tax Bill document Press Ctrl+F in Windows or Command+F on a Mac.
To search for your bill, enter both last name and street or Map/SBL # or bill #


Contact Tax Collector:

Berlin Central School District Business Office

Email:  (Preferred)

Phone:  (518) 658-1500, Option 8, Ext 1019 (Daily, M-F)


Call and email volumes are high and will be returned as quickly as possible in the order they are received. (Please include your name, taxpayer name (spell last name), tax map number and/or full property address, return phone number including area code and a brief reason for your call.



Payment Options


*By Credit/Debit Card:         

                                               Click “Pay Your Bill Online HERE” link above.

                                               MasterCard, Visa and Diners Club accepted.

                                               Online provider fee: 3.5%, plus one-time transaction fee of $0.50, per transaction



By Mail:                                 Pay To:  School Tax Collector

         PO Box 259, Berlin, NY 12022


                                               Mail with remittance stub to: (place an X in the box if you would like a receipt)
                                               Tax Processing Unit
                                               Berlin Central School District
                                               P.O. Box 13416
                                               Albany, NY  12212


In Person:                           Wednesday, September 20, 2023, 4-7PM

                                             Wednesday, September 27, 2023, 4-7PM



                                               Berlin Middle/High School

                                              17400 State Route 22, Cherry Plain, NY 12040

                                               (North-end vestibule entrance)

                                               Cash, Check or Money Order Only

Payment must be for exact amount.     



No Penalty Payment received or postmarked on or before October 2, 2023
2% Penalty* Payment received or postmarked on or between October 1, 2023, through October 31, 2023
Payments received or postmarked after November 1st or after will be returned to sender unpaid.
Unpaid taxes are turned over to Rensselaer County and are turned over to Rensselaer County and subject to an additional 7% penalty.  Please call Rensselaer County Bureau of Finance, (518) 270-2754 or (518) 270-2755 regarding delinquent taxes after November 15, 2023.


*If penalty is due and not received, your payment will returned unpaid.



The school tax collector does not have the authority to change addresses or names on school tax bills. To assure future tax bills have your current mailing address, send changes to the Rensselaer County Bureau of Tax Services, 1600 Seventh Ave, Troy, NY 12180, or call (518) 270-2780.  You should also send your new address to your Town assessor (contact info below).



Please remember that the school acts as the “collector” of taxes.  Questions or concerns regarding assessments or exemptions should be directed to the assessor of the town in which your property is located:   (See FAQ’s regarding STAR)


Town Phone
Berlin (518) 658-0015  (in office 1st, 2nd & 3rd Monday 6 – 8 PM) or leave message
Grafton (518) 279-3565
Petersburgh (518) 658-3777  Ext 16
Poestenkill (518) 658-5100  Ext 106
Stephentown (518) 733-9195  Ext 1





Q. Can I pay my school taxes in installments or make partial payments?

A. The amount due must be submitted in full or payment will be returned.



Q. Can I send in my postdated check?

A. Payments will be returned if received postdated.



Q. How do I apply for the STAR exemption?

A. Enhanced STAR process: Senior taxpayers, call the STAR Call Center at 518-457-2036 for questions about eligibility or other aspects of the exemption.

There have been recent changes to the STAR program. To learn about the program, visit online at .



Q. I received a tax bill, but I no longer own the property. What should I do?

A. Forward to the new owner, or send the bill back to the district with the new owner’s name and mailing address. By law, it is the new owner’s responsibility to get a copy of the bill.



Q. I did not receive my tax bill. What should I do?

A. The quickest way is to click on the link at the top of this page and search for your tax bill or, contact the tax collector, by email, or at (518) 658-1500, Opt 8, Ext 1019.



Q. Why do my paid school taxes for last year show as unpaid online?

A. The School Tax Collector’s tax information is current as of payments received/postmarked by October 31st of that tax year. Subsequent tax payments made directly to the County or paid with your January Town & County tax bill are not reflected on this website.



Q. I did not receive my tax bill, or received it late. Do I still have to pay the penalty?

A. The failure to mail a statement or the failure of a property owner to receive a statement will not affect the validity of the taxes or interest prescribed by law (NYS Real Property Tax Law Section 922).  It is the responsibility of the property owner to know when taxes are due and payable.  In addition, neither the Tax Collector nor any other official has legal authority to waive statutory interest charges.  Interest charges are fixed by the Real Property Tax Law.



Q. If I mail my payment on the due date, do I have to pay a penalty?

A. New York State Real Property Tax law 925, provides as follows: “Payment of taxes by mail, when enclosed in a postpaid wrapper (envelope) properly addressed to the appropriate collecting officer and is deposited in a post office or official depository under the exclusive care and custody of the United States Post Office shall, upon delivery, be deemed to have been made to such an officer on the date of the United States Postmark on such wrapper. The provisions of this section shall not apply in the case of the postmarks not made by the United States Post Office. A postage meter postmark is not a postmark made by the United States Post Office and, therefore, is not within the provisions of Real Property Tax Law 925. Payments cannot be deemed timely because of a postage meter postmark date on an envelope containing a tax payment (Op. New York State Comp. 69-170).

If taxes are not received until after the due date, they are not paid until after the due date unless they fall squarely within the provisions of section 925 of the Real Property Tax Law, and the penalty must be added and collected. No town official or employee can waive the penalty (Op. New York State Comp. 68-626).