At its meeting on January 9, 2018, the Berlin Central School District Board of Education approved two propositions for a Capital Project that will go before the voters on March 6, 2018. Community members will be able to vote on the propositions from noon to 9 p.m. in the Berlin Elementary School, 53 School Street, Berlin, New York.
Proposition #1 – $9,358,000 capital improvements to the elementary and middle school/high school and an addition at the bus garage. Proposition 1 will have NO additional tax impact. New York State would provide the reimbursement of approximately 75.4% of expenses. To minimize borrowing, the district plans to utilize $2,700,000 from the Capital Reserve and District’s general fund.
Proposition #2 – $3,667,000 would fund the construction of a new running track, a new soccer field and a new baseball field along with ancillary facilities at the Berlin Middle School/High School. Some of the work associated with proposition 2 is eligible for New York State building aid, which would reduce the local taxpayers’ share of the cost. If approved by voters, the average annual tax impact will be $172,000.
If approved by the community, the projects will address security, efficiency and outdated or obsolete facilities at both the Elementary and Middle School/High School facilities.
“This project will improve our schools for students and the community. Through improvements to classrooms and instructional spaces, safety and health improvements, we can continue to provide students with an excellent education while limiting the impact on taxpayers,” said Superintendent Dr. Stephen Young.
Proposition #1 Scope of Work
Berlin Middle/High School
- Renovations to Provide Contemporary Science Labs
- Renovations to Create a Sixth-Grade Wing
- Renovations to FACS Area to Create Secure District Offices
- Replace Student Corridor Lockers Throughout the Building
- Doors, Windows, Masonry and EIFS Repairs
- Sidewalk Reconstruction and Fuel Storage Replacement
Berlin Elementary School
- Reconstruct Main Office/Reception Area/Secure Vestibule
- Renovate Corridors/Replace Lockers
- Renovate Toilet Rooms
- Cupola and Masonry
- Playground Access Improvements, Sidewalk Reconstruction
- Renovation of Existing Structure
- Construct new 3 bay maintenance garage
- New slab mounted lifts and engine hoist
- Construction of a fourth bay on the maintenance garage
- Additional slab mounted lift
- Add wash bay on maintenance garage
- Water reclamation and filtration system
- New fuel storage and distribution systems
Proposition #2 Scope of Work
Track and Fields
- MS/HS Track
- Soccer Field
- Relocate Baseball Field
If community members have additional questions about the Capital Project, they are encouraged to attend an informational meeting or contact Superintendent Dr. Stephen Young at 518-658-2690.
Meeting Dates – 7:00 PM
2/5/2018 – Petersburgh Fire Station
2/8/2018 – Berlin MS/HS
2/15/2018 – Grafton VFW Hall
2/28/2018 Stephentown Fire Hall
3/1/2018 – Public Hearing – Berlin MS/HS – 7:00 PM