Driver’s Education Informational Letter from BMHS Principal Sullivan
February 17, 2021
I am writing to let you know that the District will be offering a Driver Education Program beginning in February through the first week in June. Mr. Bill Benkoski will be the instructor for this course. The cost of the program is $240.00, which covers the cost of the instructor and the materials used for the program. Payment plans are available for those students who are unable to pay the full amount in one payment. The driver education discount on most car insurance policies is 10-15 percent; the student would realize a savings that would make up the tuition costs within a year or two. This course will also enable the student to drive after 9:00 p.m. once the student turns 17 years of age. It also eliminates the need to take the five (5) hour pre-licensing course.
The class will meet on Wednesday’s at the Berlin High School at 3 pm. Total commitment for the course will be 1 1/2 hours of class time per week.
In organizing this program, we have established the following guidelines:
- The permission slip must be completed and returned to the Main Office by February 26.
- A minimum of 10 students must enroll.
- Students who are seniors will have top priority on a first come – first served basis.
- Students who are juniors are second in priority and sophomores will be third in priority.
- Your child must be at least 16 years of age by January 30, 2021.
- The program will begin February 26, 2021 and will continue after that date on Wednesdays.
- No student will be awarded a certificate unless he/she has completed the course requirements for class and driving time as well as any homework assignments.
- Students must complete the payment plan by the end of the course.
In accordance with NYSED and NY DMV, due to COVID 19, the 24 hours of Driver and Traffic Safety Education classroom instruction will be completed by an appropriately credentialed DTSE teacher, including coursework for students seeking the Pre-licensing Course Completion Certificate (MV-278). Students will complete the 24 hours of in-vehicle instruction under the supervision of a parent/guardian holding a valid NY State Driver’s License. The District will provide the parent/guardian with specific and detailed information regarding the 24 hours of in-vehicle instruction, observation and applied practice that must be delivered by the parent/guardian. Upon completion of this instruction, the parent/guardian must document and attest that the student has received the 24 hours of combined in-vehicle instruction, observation and applied practice. The District will provide a document for the parent/guardian to document and attest to the completion of the 24 hours.
Please return the permission slip to the Main Office by Friday, February 26, 2021. Payments can be made by check to the main office. Please make checks out to Berlin CSD. If paying cash, please contact the District Treasurer, Tammy Whitman. The long-term benefit of driver education has significant value relative to driver safety and insurance reduction. We are pleased that we are able to provide this service in our school district.
Berlin Middle/High School Principal