The American Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding Course will be offered at New Lebanon Jr/Sr High School February 24-28 from 3:00-7:00 p.m. Attendance at all classes is required. The waterfront component will be held in May, with a date to be announced soon.
Interested students must register by February 4th by emailing Mr. Christiansen at @email@example.com (please use a non-school related email address if possible). Registration is $200 and includes the textbook, pocket mask and certifications.
A pre-course swim test is also required:
- Swim 550 yards (22 lengths) continuously
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front call or breaststroke, surface dive 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swing 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute 40 seconds
- Swim five yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed five yards apart in 4-7 feed of water, resurface and swim five yards to the side of the pool
- Tread water for two minutes without using your hands
- Goggles can only be used for the 550-yard swim
Please bring your birth certificate, learners permit, or driver’s license to verify your age. You must be 15 years old by the end of the class.
Please make sure you can pass the pre-course test prior to registering.