New York State Education Law Section 409-H requires all public and nonpublic elementary and secondary schools to provide written notification to all persons in parental relation, faculty and staff regarding the potential use of pesticides periodically throughout the school year. The Berlin Central School District is required to maintain a list of persons in parental relation, faculty and staff who wish to receive 48-hour prior written notification of certain pesticide applications. The following pesticide application is not subject to prior notification requirements:
- A school remains unoccupied for a continuous 72 hours following an application
- Anti-microbial products
- Nonvolatile rodenticides in tamper-resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children
- Nonvolatile insecticide baits in tamper-resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children
- Silica gels and other nonvolatile ready-to-use pastes, foams, or gels in areas inaccessible to children
- Boric acid and disodium octaborate tetrahydrate
- The application of EPA-designated biopesticides
- The application of EPA-designated exempt materials under 40 CFR 152.25
- The use of aerosol products with a directed spray in containers of 18 fluid ounces or less when used to protect an individual from an imminent threat from stinging and biting insects including venomous spiders, bees, wasps and hornets.
In the event of an emergency application necessary to protect against an imminent threat to human health, a good-faith effort will be made to supply written notification to those on the 48-hour prior notification list. You must request in writing if you would like to receive 48-hour prior notification of pesticide applications that are scheduled to occur. The form is available online at www.berlincentral.org or you may receive one by contacting the Superintendent of Buildings at 658-3322.