Education Law Section 2-d, effective July 29, 2014
- A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes.
- Parents shall have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record.
- State and Federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State is available for public review at NYSED or by writing to the Chief Privacy Officer at NYSED.
- Parents have the right to have complaints about possible breaches of student data addressed. Complaints should be directed to the Superintendent of Schools in the District.
- This bill of rights is subject to change based on regulations of the commissioner of education and the NYSED chief privacy officer.