The Hudson Valley AAA “Otto the Auto” visited BES students in grades pre-k- first on Friday, March 10. Otto and kindergarten teacher Katie Hooks spoke to students about pedestrian and traffic safety.
In conjunction with the safety tips Otto the Auto discussed with students we recommend parents review the following safety pointers with their children to reinforce the lessons learned:
- Carry or wear reflective material in darkness or bad weather to help drivers see you.
- Watch for turning cars.
- Always cross at the corner within the crosswalk.
- Never go into the road from between parked cars.
- Look all ways before crossing. Make sure the way is clear before you cross.
- See and be seen.
- Cross only on the proper signal.
- Where there is no sidewalk and it is necessary to walk in the roadway, walk on the left side, facing traffic.